Recent virtual worlds links
Posted on August 10, 2003 @ 19:14 in Research
A bunch of somewhat related "virtual worlds" links I collected over the past week or so:
• V6.0 update of the MMOG Active Subscriptions graph
• Interview with Edward Castronova: MUD-flation, Cross-Gender Play, and Hobbes
• Wired: Commerce drives virtual world
• Wired: Online games: Free for thee
• Programmersheaven.com: A new economic model for massively multiplayer games
• Gamesindustry.biz: The biggest threat to online games
• Korea Times: Police say game sites hotbed of cyber crime
• RPG Vault: Roundtable on the levelling treadmill of many MMOGs.
• Legal Affairs: To kill an avatar
• IGDA: Games and rhetoric: A rhetorical look at gameplay
• Game Girl Advance: Not yet, you fools, Richard Bartle on voice communication in multiplayer games
• Digiworld.tv, now available online for the whole world, but still in BBC Ceefax format... I'm not sure they're doing the world a favor ;-)
• Amazon.com: Designing Virtual Worlds, by Richard Bartle.
• SSRN: Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier, by Edward Castronova
• SSRN: The Price of 'Man' and 'Woman': A Hedonic Pricing Model of Avatar Attributes in a Synthethic World, by Edward Castronova
• KidFenris.com: The gallery of hideous box art
Comments and Trackbacks
Have you seen that there.com (http://www.there.com/) has entered public beta?
A pedant writes:
Digitiser used to be on Channel 4, whose service was called "Teletext" (there used to be a Digitiser section at http://www.teletext.co.uk containing features by Mr. Biffo, although it was in a more regular web-page format) - since Biffo gave it up (to write Eastenders episodes, among other things), it has been replaced with GamesCentral, headed by (ex-Edge editor) Tony Mott and his band of loonies/contributors (some of whom were drawn from the currently closed Edge forum).
There are also some Teletext/Ceefax in-jokes on Digiworld.tv made possible by being able to select any page you want with the remote - the first thing I thought of when I went to the site was to check out well-known Teletext/Ceefax pages, and I wasn't disappointed (888, for instance, provides subtitles for the current program).
GamesCentral currently resides on p.176 :-)
Indeed, insin, sir. I've never visited the Digitiser section, because we don't get Channel 4 in Holland, but I'd read something like your brief history a couple of months ago in Edge, when Mr. Biffo was introduced as a new columnist. I've enjoyed his writing so far :-)
As for having noticed There.com gone public beta, I'm afraid I have not, but thanks for the heads up Martin. I should check it out one of these days.
Post a comment
Comments and trackbacks have been closed on this site. My apologies.
Since MT-Blacklist inexplicably stopped working I had no other recourse than close comments and trackbacks to stop the spam. I've been meaning to correct this for quite a while, but life got in the way... in a good way I should add.